Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Author Quirks: Elizabeth Chadwick

Next up is Elizabeth Chadwick, author of The Greatest Knight. I asked her:

What's a quirky or little-known fact about yourself, your writing, and/or one of your novels? (For example, you can tell us about a non-standard pet you have, an unusual way you do your writing, a strange real life incident that inspired a scene in one of your novels, or so on.)


Elizabeth Chadwick's answer:

Quirky fact about myself: I play darts with my husband for a mixed team of men and ladies. We compete once a week for a traditional English pub not far from Nottingham city centre. It's great fun and a different world to that of being a novelist!

When writing The Greatest Knight, I drew inspiration for the everyday things from being active in a living history society, Regia Anglorumwww.regia.org. For instance there’s a scene in the book where an armorer is adjusting a mail shirt for my hero, who is his customer. I wrote the piece after observing a friend demonstrating to the public how to make a section of mail shirt at a re-enactment event we did at a place called Castle Rising. At that same event, I got the opportunity to wander the castle in my medieval costume and get a feel for going up and down spiral stairs in heel-less medieval shoes! It’s research that you certainly can’t get out of text books!


Thank you, Ms. Chadwick, for sharing this interesting information about your life and your writing.

No comments: