Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Author Quirks: Jennifer Erin Valent

Next up is Jennifer Erin Valent, author of Cottonwood Whispers. I asked her:


What's a quirky or little-known fact about yourself, your writing, and/or one of your novels? (For example, you can tell us about a non-standard pet you have, an unusual way you do your writing, a strange real life incident that inspired a scene in one of your novels, or so on.)


Jennifer Erin Valent's answer:

I guess I'd say one of my quirks is that I love thunderstorms. I have since I was a child. When I was little, I would climb up on the windowsill of our picture window to sit and watch the storm until my mother would tell me to come away from the lightning, and I'm still fascinated by them to this day. In fact, I've often thought I could see myself being one of those crazy storm chasers!

I instilled my love for thunderstorms in Jessilyn, the main character in Fireflies in December, Cottonwood Whispers and the upcoming Catching Moondrops. She loves them, but her best friend Gemma hates them because a lightning fire killed her parents. In Fireflies in December, we see Jessilyn going out onto the porch to watch the thunderstorm, and that's exactly where you'd find me, too!


Thank you, Ms. Valent, for sharing how one of your quirks made it into your novels.

No comments: