Friday, September 21, 2012

Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer

book cover
Footsteps in the Dark
by Georgette Heyer


ISBN: 0-425-08769-7
Mass Market Paperback:
246 pages
Publisher: Berkley Mystery
Released: 1932, 1986

Source: Bought through Half.com.

Book Description, Modified from Back Cover:
It wasn't the lack of modern conveniences that made a summer spent at the ancient priory mansion such an unsettling experience. It was the footsteps and unearthly moanings in the night combined with the tales of a ghostly monk haunting the place. But the siblings that inherited the place don't believe in ghosts, so they set out to discover who is trying to scare them off and why. Things turn deadly when a man turns up dead after claiming to be very close to discovering who the Monk really is...


My Review:
Footsteps in the Dark is a historical mystery set in England. It was first published in 1932 and was set in the late 1920's, so it was written as a contemporary mystery. Of the Heyer mysteries I've read so far, this is my favorite. It's very funny, especially since the group (3 siblings, a spouse, and an aunt) get spooked despite their determination not to believe in ghosts. Though there wasn't a lot of depth to the characters, they were engaging and likable.

The whodunit was well done. About halfway through, I predicted who were "bad guys" and who were "good guys." Closer to the end, I was certain who the Monk was. Yet I still felt elated to discover that I'd guessed correctly. I think I was elated because the clues were subtle things that were "off" more than evidence directly linked to the crime, so I knew my guess about the Monk was not a sure thing even though I felt certain.

The suspense was created by wondering what was causing the moans and groans (it does come across as spooky) and by the potential physical danger to the main characters.

There was no sex. There was some explicit bad language. Overall, I'd recommend this novel to those who enjoy humorous mysteries.


If you've read this book, what do you think about it? I'd be honored if you wrote your own opinion of the book in the comments.


Excerpt: Read an excerpt using Google Preview.

No comments: